Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Healthy fare..

Steamed tofu with gravy

I started with a very simple recipe in mind..steamed tofu with oyster sauce & spring onions. But as I put the tofu into the mircowave to steam, I thought of something different. I had never done this before, but remember seeing a chef did it on TV.
With no recipe on hand, I did what I could best come up with.

Gravy
1 cup water
3-4 tbsp oyster sauce (depends on how salty u like ur gravy)
1-2 tsp sesame oil
a handful of frozen mixed greens.
1 1/2 tbsp corn flour (aga aga)
1 egg, beaten
1 small clove of garlic, chopped
2 tsp oil ( I used olive oil)

Method
1. Mix corn flour with water, then add oyster sauce and sesame oil. Mix well
2. Heat oil in pan, throw in chopped garlic, fry till fragrant and add mixed greens, continue frying for abt 1 min.
3. Pour in liq. mixture from step 1, stir well and bring to boil, then lower heat. Mixture shld thicken by now.
4. Pour in egg slowly with one hand and with the other hand, gently stir gravy continously.
(think the chef said tis is to create "dan (egg) hua", or rather white streaks in the gravy).
5. Pour gravy over steamed tofu and serves hot.

Turned out pretty well, I'll definitly try doing this again some day, maybe with a little twist, say fried tofu and add some minced meat/prawns to the gravy..yumz..

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, this looks absolutely delish! can imagine teaming the gravy with piping hot rice. yums!

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi again!

i see that you rearranged the links in alphabetical order. looks neater that way and easier to navigate too =)

oh by the way, do u know where i can get squid ink pasta? the dried ones i mean. i don't see them in supermarkets. i think i remember seeing them once in carrefour's french or italian fair, but cant find it anymore.

6:39 PM  
Blogger the mad fat chef said...

Hi...

Yap, finally did that last week when i got took a breather at work..hee...but now with the new arrangement, i am the one getting lost..haha

For squid ink pasta, i think Cold Storage at Guthrie House may have them. Da Palo sells them too but fresh ones, not too sure which outlet..maybe the bt. timah one or Jalan Merah Saga, think they have a deli there.
Or try those gourmet places like jasons..err...hope it helps..=)

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home